I got asked by a friend the other day, how I could manage to get up every morning, not being bitter about my life. Well...
Sometimes I am bitter, sometimes sad, but mostly I don't think so much (at least not any longer) about how my life has been earlier on. Of course I go through bits and pieces in therapy, sure, but our angle there is more often about the problems I have now, and where these problems have their roots. And we change how I look at things. (Yes, I know that I wrote that like it's a walk in the park, but of course it isn't. Many times I'm truly exhausted when I get home from these sessions, but for every month, I get better and feel brighter in my mind, so it's so worth all the hard work.)
Many of those who have had similar lifes know that the past can affect the present. In my case, I have, for example, more or sometimes less troubles letting others help me (even if I really need help), saying nice things to me, show me appreciation of any kind. I also can get stone cold and act rather mechanical in situations others find chocking or hard, but I think that's a good problem to have, because I often have no problems acting correct in crisis, accidents or any other traumatic happenings (thankfully enough those things rarely happen in my life now adays..)
I do not go around feeling miserable all day long, or feeling sorry for myself day after day. What good would that do?
On my sad and hard days I often choose to stay inside, writing it off. I tend to shy away from going out among lots of people, I prefers taking walks in the woods or just strolling through parks and nature. To be honest, that don't always help either, but at least I try to get some sunshine on my nose and fresh air in my lungs, focusing on the fact that I am still alive.
Writing helps, and for some reason it's easier letting go of hard thoughts and feelings when all your words is down on a piece of paper instead of in your head. I really think that we people are a bit afraid of forgetting, and because of that we refuse to let go of sad, angry and hurtful things. What if we forget? What if someone can hurt us like that again? No no, better not forget, better keep everything inside, going on and on over how bad we feel.
....and we end up bitter as rotten lemons. Not good.
On a good day, I write too, but maybe from a different angle than when feeling sorry for myself. The good days, I have no troubles being social, not at all. But if it gets too much, I usually need to spend an hour or so all by my self, in silence. (There was a time when I was terrified of silence, but now I really enjoy it a lot.) The best thing about breaking down completely is that I get to know my self better and better, and learn how to respect my own needs before I fall over the edge again.
So how do we dandelions get up? We just do it. We know that rough times ends sooner or later, we now that there will be time to rest, somewhere in the (hopefully near) future. We know that the troubles will fade away eventually. So we get up, feel the warmth of the sun, and we keep on growing and building our roots in the concrete.
Inga kommentarer:
Skicka en kommentar